Thursday, March 20, 2014

Tale Spins: retellings of popular fairy tales

I love fairy tale retellings, but I hate short story compilations. I know, I know, I always say that I’m going to stop reading them, but they are usually cheap on amazon and I get caught up in the price and the the genre. Tale Spins complies a few short stories, retellings of famous fairy tales, but with a modern type twist, or in certain places a side of the story that you might not have heard.
Snow White for instance, did you know that there were actually eight dwarfs? The one that is left out of the fairy tale named Creepy. The other dwarfs locked him in the basement because he was, well creepy. Written in verse, this shows the seven dwarfs as rude and self centered men who only look out for their own self interests. Creepy in fact is able to wake up the beautiful made the first two times the evil witch comes, but being locked in the basement is unable to kiss her away.
The second story is a retelling of the frog prince. A princess is being bullied at school and decides to seek out a witch to help her. Of course, she just agrees to the witch’s demands, signing her name without actually reading the contract. Then trying to pull a fast one on the witch, Princess Penny tries to steal from the witch, but of course that never works out well. If it wasn’t for the kindness of an enchanted creature, Penny would have been lost for all time.
The third story was actually my favorite. It was dark and sinister, a retelling of Jack and the beanstalk. Only this story has Jack as a young street kid who robs a wealthy doctor who lives in a penthouse. The journey of the doctor trying to catch Jack leads them both down a dark and dangerous, yet magical journey until the unexpected end.



I would love an actual full novel of Jack’d, that is how good I thought that third story is.

No comments:

Post a Comment