Monday, October 12, 2015

Joel Osteen: It's Your Time

I am not a huge fan of the feel good Christianity. While it is nice to here that “God loves you and he wants you to be happy” or “God wants you to have financial success” things like that are not biblically based. Now, I am not a fire and brimstone sermon-loving girl, but I do like my teachings to come directly from the bible. That being said, it is nice to hear the God is on my side and rooting for me, theme that Joel Osteen commonly preaches.
He is one of the most well-known and popular preachers in the United States, selling out stadiums across the county, and has made the New York Times Best Sellers list often with his novels. This review is about his work, It’s Your Time.
In the tradition of Joel Osteen, it quotes very little of the actual Bible, but does have a good message about seizing the day and making your life better. The focus of the book is on you, the individual reader. If it was just put in the self-help section, I think it would be better. It feels as if Joel uses God to push his agenda.

Many of the stories in it, while inspiring, felt very Chicken Soup to me as well. Again, nothing wrong with that, as I love those books, but posing it as a God book kind of bummed me out. I would give it a two and a half star rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment